The Surry County Beekeepers created a committee last fall to work on creating and funding a bee yard where members of the club will eventually be able to raise queens for member use and sale to continue to support the club.
The committee has been working with other supporting organizations and individuals to apply for a grant from the NC Pesticide Environmental Trust Fund. On March 10th, the grant was funded and President Eugene Brown and Vice President Davie Simpson where there to answer questions and get the good news.
To view a copy of the grant proposal and the terms of the funding
Some of the folks who were instrumental in helping SCBA get this funding include:
- Dwight Seal, Western District Manager, Department of Agriculture Pesticide Division
- Joanna Radford, NCSU Cooperative Extension, Surry County Center
- Dr. David Tarpy, NCSU Professor and Extension Apiculturist
- Don Hopkins, Apiary Inspection Supervisor, NCDA&CS
- Lewis Cauble, Apiary Inspector, NCDA&CS
- Gregory Fariss, Apiary Inspector, NCDA&CS